Thursday, July 8, 2010

Top 10 things you should know about my hotel

I'm only here for another 24 hours or so, and I keep meaning to tell you about some little oddities of my hotel room.

10. My TV is smaller than my laptop's monitor.
9. There are no English channels on my TV. But there is a German one. I watched an entire "Family Guy" episode in German.
8. There are lots of American movies shown, with dubbing. The oddity here is that the dubbing, especially the female parts, are done without the least regard for character. It's just a shrill Spanish voice reading the lines very quickly (think Charro). An irony the other night was that Julia Roberts sounded like a Spanish prostitue in "Pretty Woman."
7. If you don't put the "No Moleste" sign on your door (in Spanish, this means don't molest me), and if you don't lock your door, the maid just barges in without knocking. It took me two times to adjust to this. Now I'm good.
6. There is a mini-bar, which I haven't seen in awhile. And this makes me happy.
5. The breakfast buffet here is made up of over 50% fresh meats and cheeses (charcuterie). There are also fruits and pastries, but mostly just meat.
4. All the people at the front desk know my room number. I don't know if they are required to memorize them or something, or if I'm special, but it's a little weird.
3. You have to put your key in a holder inside the room to make the electricity work. But I said I lost my key, so that I could get another, because I needed to leave the A/C running the whole time to keep the room at least a little cool.
2. The address on my street is 191. But the even numbers across the street are in the 160s. The even-numbered addresses in the 190s are 3 blocks away! This is crazy to me.
and #1. There is the cutest little drinking fountain by my toilet. I have to get on my hands and knees to drink from it. How odd!

Adios.

-S

3 comments:

  1. You say you only have 24 hours left in that hotel--so where are you off to next?

    And I made the mistake of You-tubing "running with the bulls" with Jacob last night. Brown pants..definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cute little drinking fountains really need to make their way stateside. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would imagine the don't molest me signage would have been something you would have put on your door immediately. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete