You really never know what you're going to get when you walk up to someone is Lisbon. First I try to figure out of they speak either Spanish or English. Sometimes both. Sometimes neither. But most speak one or the other. This blew my mind actually, because I just assumed that everyone spoke both Spanish and Portuguese. Because they're so close, right? WRONG, secret readers. They are very very different.
Sure lots of overlaps, but very different. You would be very surprised at the number of folks that speak Portuguese and English, but are very intimidated by Spanish. This took 3 days for itto truly sink in. See, my thought was that if I tried to speak Spanish, it was close enough to Portuguese, plus it helped my language skills. Not so. It is usually much better to speak in English. Which stinks, sorta, because I don't want to speak English over here. However, it has motivated me to study Portuguese quite diligently in my hotel room. By the time I leave in 72 hours, I want to have a lot of this under my belt.
Actually, I noticed I'm not the only that approaches interactions with a language discussion; it seems that almost everyone has to negotiate with the other person on which language is best. It's fascinating! This is why I came! I've seen (heard) Germans and Portuguese speak in English. I've heard French and Portuguese speak in English, etc.
Now, a word about my dinner last night. I must tell you 2 things first. #1. I have never used the term "OMG" before.......and #2. OMG!
This was quite possibly the best dining experience of my life. Seriously. The place (100 Maneiras "Cien Maneiras"), was wicked (the Brits like to use this word, so I am going to start using it to be cool). There were about 30-40 seats at about 10 tables. They asked me if I had any food allergies, and when I responded "no", the show was on.
Other than picking your own drinks, you didn't get to decide anything. As soon as I sat down, the food starting coming. And coming. They served me 12 courses of food, and it felt like more than that, since each course often had 2 or 3 different servings on it of different food. The waitresses would carefully explain the food, and then even tell you how the chef wanted you to eat it. Sometimes one food before another....sometimes to rotate a bite of each...etc. It was really, really good.
Now. I am not a big fan of the whole: Hey, you're going to ___________? You just HAVE to go to ___________!!.
But.
I am making an exception.
If you are ever in Lisbon, and you do not go to 100 Maneiras, you are retarded.
By the time I left, I knew every employee. It was like leaving my family. The service, the ambiance, and (duh) the food were all fantastic. And it wasn't even that expensive. With wine and tip, I was out for under 100 EU!
I may even have to go back before I leave.
OH---I posted some more pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/52195557@N06/
This is on Flickr, not ShutterFly, because the latter was so cumbersome to navigate! Sorry if you have to create a 2nd account. And again, if you do a slideshow, you won't see my comments. You have to just view the pics.
That's it for now!
-S
Damn it, I wanted to go to Portugal a dozen years ago, but it was just to time consuming to get there by train. Now I have another reason to go.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I want to know the theme of your favorite exhibit at the Guggenheim. I can see what looks like a howitzer and cans set off to the side.
ReplyDeleteI didn't notice the name of the exhibit. But it's in the Anish? Kapoor? area. I may have the artist's name slightly wrong.
ReplyDeleteI thought this was going to be a chocolate story. No chocolate here Scott, you fooler you.
ReplyDeletePortuguese always sounds totally cray to me. Not crazy...cray. Like Kanye West cray.
ReplyDeleteBox of Chocolates?! Man...it has been like two hours since this Jen-nay heard a Forrest Gump quote. Thanks for the fix.
I want to name my next dog Forrest. That way we can be like peas and carrots. And when he does bad dog things...well, you never know what you're gonna get.