
That is how my second day in San Sebastian has been. They are tearing up the street below my window, and it has been raining all morning. Also, the internet connection in my hotel has been off an on. So, beach is out. Sleeping is out. Working is out. Walking around in the rain is what I choose.
Also, I wanted to back up a step and let you know my itinerary. Since January, this has changed no less than 20 times, and frankly, it's still subject to change, but as of right now, here's how my trip breaks down, in 10 phases:
Phase I, II and III you should all be familiar with by now (Barcelona, Pamplona, San Sebastian)
Phase IV - Lisbon, Portugal
Phase V - Valencia, Spain
Phase VI - Madrid
*Phase VII - Monte Carlo, Monaco
*Phase VIII - Nice and French Mediterranean
*Phase IX - Ibiza
*Phase X - Barcelona (otra vez)
*In phases VII through X I'll be accompanied by High School Stacy.
For those of you who don't know your Iberian geography (I didn't 2 months ago), and are too lazy to look it up, I thought I'd include a map, conveniently coded with my phase numbers (see above). It's all about you, my secret readers.
Also, there was so much to blog about from Pamplona that I didn't get to, I want to back up and talk about what happens after the bulls finish the run, and they are in the corral. This was something they didn't teach me online, but for many people, it's the best part of the day.
They let out a "little" bull to run around in the crowd on the ground of the plaza (5,000 people are safely in their seats, and about 400-500 people are on the ground (another 100 or so of us perched between the two on the railings (see my picture with Gabrielle))).
Now. A couple of things:
1. Yes, you heard me right, they just let a bull into the arena, who just tries to charge everyone he sees. This goes on for about 10 minutes, then they let a guide bull in (a huge longhorn) to shepherd the "little" bull back into the corral. Then they let another one out. 6 bulls in total. It's quite a hoot. The bull is trying to mess with the people, and the people are trying to mess with the bull. Houston rodeo people--think calf scramble, except instead of 50 lumbering, scared calves, you get one fast angry bull, hoof-pawing, head-lowering, charging little bull. The only purpose of this whole exercise, ostensibly, is just fun. Good ol' charging bull fun.
2. The "little" bull is still a very dangerous animal. They do have his horns covered with little rubber tips, so there is no goring, but there is still plenty of bodies thrown in the air, and plenty more stepped on. I'll pass on this little tradition, thankyouverymuch.
More tomorrow.
Agur! (That's good-bye in Basque).
-S
Can't wait for stages 7-9!!!!
ReplyDeleteMonaco?! Ok, I'm jealous.
ReplyDelete