So, back in Barcelona at a hotel airport. Tomorrow morning requires me to navigate a foreign car rental, successfully manage to pick up Stacy, and somehow manage to navigate the 600+ kilometer drive to Monte Carlo. There is not one major highway connecting the two. Non. There are lots of twists and turnoffs (and remember, signs are in Spanish and then French). Plus all rental cars here are standard. Should be an adventure. Ole!
I have several tiers of goals in Monte Carlo. The first tier (much like touching the bull) consists of two pieces:
(a) I will say "Strother. (pause) Scott Strother." a la James Bond at least once.
(b) I will gamble with a rectangular chip. I have varying reports on how easy this is. Jason tells me that may mean $1,000 or more. We'll see.
(c) REJECTED GOAL. I initially wanted to order a martini, shaken not stirred, but then it dawned on me that the bartenders in MC have probably heard that 1,000 times.
Actually, I guess the VERY first goal is to just get there.
On another note, I do really like it when you guys chime in with comments. It tells me that I'm not just typing to myself. What's funny is, that, if I type on FaceBook, "I'm enjoying a ham sandwich", I will get 8 responses and 15 more "People like this" thumbs ups. But here, days of long posts go by with only crickets. So pipe up, ya'll.
Salud.
-S
I want to hear more about the ham sandwich! That sounds awesome!
ReplyDeleteJust kidding. You've already told us about the ham sandwich.
ReplyDeleteI think you should add baccarat to your goals. I know that you can play it here, and I think it is probably a really simple game, but if you are going to walk in Bond's steps, in might be fun. (Though, I guess in the movie adaptation of "Casino Royale", baccarat has been updated to poker.)
Driving in France is easy. Lots of roundabouts. Think of your journey as a hand-over-hand swing from city to city. The white city names with arrows will point you in the right direction. Avoid "Centre Ville" (unless it's time for coffee), continue on "Autres Directions" and you're golden.
ReplyDeleteI feel chastised for being away for a few days. It was my bday, man, I had to focus on ME! Haha! Got a little catching up to do here on your travels, will comment, promise!
ReplyDeleteSeveral years ago we drove from Nice (which is "nice") through Monaco to Italy. If we made it, you wont have a problem! The standard transmission did give us some tense moments on the one-lane mountainous roads in Italy.
ReplyDeleteWe wait with baited-breath for each blog installment!
I have a recommendation for another goal. When the bartender puts your martinini in front of you, cup your hands together in front of you and say "f&$@ the cup, just pour it in my hands". I feel fairly certain that neither the bartenders in nor the visitors to Monaco have seen I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.
ReplyDeleteBond's real drink request in Casino Royale was a 1/2 gin, 1/2 vodka martini with a lemon twist. He named it a Vesper after Vesper Lynd, the Bond-chick in that movie/book.
ReplyDeleteAnother good Bond line was in the bathroom stall when he was yelling "Who does Number Two work for?" That should definitely be one of your goals.
Much to my shame, it has taken me 20 days to figure out how to post a comment.:(
ReplyDeleteI would order the martini shaken not stirred with the attitude of…To hell with what the bartender has heard a 1,000 times, this is the way I drink my martini, Dammit!
Because you are Stother...Scott Strother.
Good luck at the tables!!
You know, you should ordered the martini stirred, not shaken. That would throw him off, and it would be in line with what gin enthusiasts feel about shaking "bruising" the gin. I've been stirring my home martinis, and it is nice to have a drink with no ice shards floating in it.
ReplyDeleteI am commenting in reverse on these so...No rectangular chips...bummer! More movie bull shit...na, say it isn't so! Anyway, that supports my theory that they must be expensive chips! I just figured out how to post thanks to Laurie. If you hit another city, country or whatever...I'll do better :) JC
ReplyDeletePlaying Baccarat in Monaco is another item on my bucket list! You should make this your next goal. Learn Baccarat!
ReplyDelete