Thursday, July 29, 2010

Random thoughts

You know how when you haven't talked to a friend in awhile, and you need to catch up? And then one day, you have 10 minutes to spare, but you know that isn't enough to catch up with your friend? So you don't call. Then two weeks go by, and then you DEFINITELY need an hour to catch up, but you don't have an hour. So more time goes by, and the dilemma worsens?

That's how it is for me right now, with you, my gentle blog readers. So much to say, so little time. So, while Stacy is sleeping, I thought I'd at least get something online so that no one thinks I overdosed on ecstasy at an Ibiza rave.

I have spoken at least 3 words of the following languages this month: English, Castilian, Catalan, Portuguese, French, German(!), Japanese, and Pig Latin. Should I explain? I shall. Stacy and I had this weird cab driver in Ibiza who seemed to speak quite a bit of English, and we didn't want him to hear us. And I was convinced that there is no way he could follow a quick Pig Latin conversation. So that's what we did. I'll never know if I was right or wrong. Only that I had a sound strategy and stuck to my plan.

I had forgotten that there is no word in French for 70. You say "soixante-dix" (literally 60, 10). I mean, did they get bored making up their language? Or over a lot of wine and sweetbreads did it sound like a good idea? Similarly, 80 is "quatre vingts" (4 twenties). It gets better. 96, for example translates into: 4 twenties and 16. Is it my imagination, or does this sound like a drinking game?

I do love the word 60 in French, though: "soixante" (SWAH-sohn). Very nice. I always wanted to order 60 croissants. "S'il vous plait: Soixante croissants" Just rolls off the tongue.

Ok, that's all for now, folks. Much more to come in the next 72 hours.

-S

3 comments:

  1. Je voudrais soixante croissants maintenant! Avec du chocolat, sil vous plait.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So my brother speaks fluent Arabic. I love that most people assume he doesn't speak it and when we get off elevators he translates what they were saying about us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started writing that comment in Pig Latin. But it is far too late into the AM to do that. *sigh* The laziness kicked in.

    ReplyDelete