My luxurious train ride was not. I was in a sleeper cabin, yes, but it was the size of a bathroom, and slept 4 people and all of their luggage. 2 bunk beds. I got on at midnight, and was stuck on this train for 11 1/2 hours. So, I took my laptop to the cafe car, had a very late dinner, and watched stuff on my iTunes until 2:00 a.m, when the car closed. So I trudged back "home" to my cabin, and crashed in hope of a long sleep. I was able to sleep, off an on (no fan!), until around 7:00. With 3 and 1/2 hours to go, I went to the snack car, and just watched the country go by. I was amazed at all of the vineyards in Portugal.
There were only three of us in there, and one of them was a British lass who was talking on her phone. Since that was the first English I had heard in 3 days, I struck up a conversation with her, and then a British couple (very cool) that she met the night before walked in. Then these two Canadian girls that I met on the train platform the night before came in. And so the 6 of us whiled away the morning hours having wine and some very interesting conversation. A very good end to a long train ride. The British guy was very funny and intelligent, but the best thing about him was that he played guitar on one of George Michael's albums!
My hotel (the Sheraton Lisboa) is truly a 5-star hotel. Definitely one of the swankiest hotels I've ever stayed in. Also, all of the employees speak English, which is nice. I'm getting a very good deal at around $100 US per night. Unfortunately, the prices for incidentals are almost surreal. Way worse than NYC. I'm paying about $27 per day to use the internet, and getting each shirt dry cleaned was about $18. Also, it costs $17 to use the water area (pool/jacuzzi/saunas). And a drink poolside runs almost about the same. Not in my budget really, but I'm pretending that I'm really paying $200 per night so that those charges don't bug me too much. Even at $200, the hotel would be way worth it.
Also, the Sheraton I guess is a big deal around here, because when they make a reservation for me (4 so far), I am greeted by name "Mr. Strother, we've been expecting you." and treated like royalty. And when I leave a restaurant (2 out of 3 times), there is a taxi waiting for me..."Mr. Strother, do you want this taxi?". Cool.
Tchau, ya'll.
-S
A fact which ALL my closest friends know about me (Scott?) is that the aforementioned George Michael is my favorite artist EVER....what a fab chance meeting!
ReplyDeleteSo you've got to sleep in a cold room? I appreciate this and you have earned my respect. I know you were waiting for it with bated breath. You're welcome.
ReplyDelete