OK, after co-visiting the beach with many topless women, I have two questions to throw out there (and I don't mean to make mountains out of mole-hills).
1. Hetero males are attracted to women's breasts, right? Is this an inborn attraction, or is it more because we're trained to want what we can't see (i.e. they are always hidden by pesky cloths)? I've heard arguments that boobs, especially large ones, indicate a suitable mate to raise children. A different rumor is that men still crave boobs from infancy. (Note: I choose "boobs" here as what I consider to be the most non-offensive, yet topical term. "Breasts" is too clinical. Everything else seemed too crude.)
That said, no one seems to care at the beach. I cry foul. Am I literally the only one interested in this? Girls are like "ho-hum....here are my boobs. Look if you want. I don't care. I just want them tanned." And guys (of all ages, mind you), are like "Look at the Mediterranean. How beautiful." Um, dude, I've been to the beach three days now, and I haven't even seen the water yet.
So the discussion point is this: (a) is everyone just being polite and just ignoring that there are boobs everywhere!? Or, (b) is it that over here, these things are just so common and thus not noteworthy/bloggable (and if that's the case, are they even part of human sexuality here?) Or, (c) is it that everyone DOES care, but pretends like they don't because they are cool and European? Please share other theories.
2. My second point is more simple. Why is this behavior only seemingly acceptable at the beach? If I walked in on one of these girls (accidentally, of course) while she was taking her bra off, would she or would she not cover them? I say she would. Also, if a girl showed up at a restaurant or store without a top on, would it be ok here? I say it would not. So, I guess I'm saying that I vote (c) to my question number 1!
Also, a quick note on men before closing, I did see two men sunbathing on their backs today with nothing on except SPF 30. I thought about it doing the same thing. Just for the experience, you know, but I didn't have nearly enough sunscreen. ;)
Cheers.
(Tomorrow: some notes on food here)
-S
Keep it coming! Your realizations are so fun to read, and it's so funny what's startling now you will just ease right into by the time July is over. Revel in it! Oh, and buy more sunscreen....ha!
ReplyDeleteI say go for it. Go native, get naked, and oiled up then blog about that experience. Oh what the heck, just run naked with the bulls. See if anyone notices that!! Ha! D
ReplyDeleteHow about Cheaters or Mammoids?
ReplyDeleteMaybe this is just being the girl with ample boobage at the beach, but I'd be kind of sad if the guys weren't checking them out. I should at least get the appreciation.
ReplyDelete